Practice for Word Processing
In the Word Processing portion of the TCA, you will be required to use Microsoft Word to produce a document similar to the example shown on this page. We have identified 14 basic skills that are tested by this assessment. The skills are itemized in the list below.
Word Processing Help
Never used Microsoft Word before? Here are some great tutorials created by Microsoft that will teach you the basics of word processing: Microsoft Word 2016 Tutorials. For additional help, use these step-by-step tutorials to complete the practice test. There is also a video tutorial that you can use to reference the skills needed to complete Science Flyer Word practice.
Instructions for the TCA Practice
Create a flyer to send home with your students giving information about your science class using the instructions given below. The flyer should look identical to the example shown below (same layout, colors, font, etc.). You can use the content for the flyer provided (to help you save time). When you are finished, save your flyer as a Word document called "science_flyer.doc". Make sure you include the following:
- Change the page to a landscape (horizontal) orientation.
- Format page into two columns
- Adjust the top margin to 2 inches.
- Copy and paste the text from the link above into the left column. Remove source formatting.
- Change the main body text to Georgia, 14 pt. font, red.
- Format the bulleted items as shown in the example.
- Insert a 2X2 table and add text. Change the text to Georgia, 14 pt. font, red.
- Insert a text box and add the title, "5th Grade Science" to create a headline. (Do not use the header feature.)
- Change the font of the title to Verdana, 26 pt. font, blue, bold.
- Insert the image of the students into the right column.
- Insert two shapes that match the example.
- Change the fill color of the shapes to match the example.
- Add text to the shapes as shown in the example. (Do not use a text box.) Change the speech bubble text to Times New Roman, 15 pt. font, black. Change the banner text to Times New Roman, 18 pt. font, black.
- Insert a hyperlink from the word "syllabus" to http://www.byuiedtechlab.com, then test your hyperlink to make sure it works.
- One additional item. [Since technology proficiency includes the ability to find help when you need it, on the assessment you will be asked to demonstrate one additional skill. You will not know what that skill is until you come to take the assessment. If you do not know how to do the skill, you may use any helps built into the word processing program. You will also be able to use any website (msn.com, google.com, wikipedia.com, etc.). You will not be able to ask another person (friend, relative, lab assistant, etc.) by any means (chat, email, cell phone, face-to-face, etc.) or use the EdTech Lab website practice material.]